These are my notes for my January 22nd, 2021 Zoom call discussing the long-term impact of Trump's administration, Biden’s election/administration, the capitol riots, the future of America in general. Intro…
- Wednesday February 14th, 2018
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, 3,000 students
- Parkland, Florida
- Shooter: Nikolas Cruz, 19, former student
- Purchased AR-15 style gun legally after passing background checks
- 4 deputies remained outside behind their cars with guns drawn for 4 minutes during the shooting and would not go inside the school
- 17 killed, at least 14 more injured, (2 LDS killed)
- Claimed to hear voices of demons that told him to do this
- His adoptive mother died in the fall
- Deadliest school shooting since 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary (26 died)
- FBI notified in 2017 about a comment on a YouTube video by user with same name saying “I’m going to be a professional school shooter.” The FBI could not identify the person.
- Local police had not been warned about him
- Member of a white supremacist group called “Republic of Florida”
- School authorities had emailed teachers about Cruz’s behavior. Expelled (from threatening students? not officially stated) and wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack. He had been found with bullets in his backpack.
- BBC: “It was the third shooting incident at a school in 48 hours and the 11th in the three weeks since the start of the year.”
- Aaron Feis, assistant football coach, shielded students with his body, "died a hero"